Care pathway analysis to identify the value proposition
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommend medical test developers plan their market access strategy to:
- Understand the changing healthcare landscape.
- Identify the most appropriate route to NHS access.
- Explore their value proposition with system stakeholders.
The NIHR Newcastle MIC has expertise in care pathway analysis. We use this technique to help developers identify and assess the value proposition of their new in vitro diagnostic test.
What is the value proposition of the test?
The value proposition is a claim about the importance, worth or usefulness of a test. For example, a test could have the potential to be, more accurate, less invasive or reduce time to diagnosis.
What is a care pathway?
A care pathway outlines the sequence of interactions a patient experiences as they navigate through a healthcare system with the symptoms of a particular medical condition. Mapping out the care pathway captures the points of contact, actions, decisions, and potential outcomes associated with the patient’s care. This helps to identify unmet clinical needs and scenarios where a new test could be integrated into the pathway to improve patient care.
How do we conduct care pathway analysis?
We map out the current care pathway and assess the potential roles for a new test by:
- Reviewing literature, national and local guidelines and audit data.
- Devising, delivering and analysing surveys.
- Formulating, conducting and evaluating detailed interviews.
- Organising, facilitating and examining focus group discussions.
Why should test developers undertake care pathway analysis with us?
- It strengthens the evidence base and supports product development of a test. It will highlight any improvements that could be made to the test. This will ensure that the new test will be fit for purpose in the healthcare system.
- It optimises the study design for future clinical studies. It helps to identify the most appropriate patient population, setting and clinical outcomes that should be examined.
You can read more about how we conduct care pathway analysis and its value to test developers by following this link.
You can read more about more about the NICE technology appraisal process by following this link.