Collecting the views of the public through the Multiverse Lab
During a week on the road, the Multiverse Lab team engaged with members of the public and gathered their views on future research.
Research into cancer, dementia, and mental health were amongst the most common priorities of the public. Several visitors also felt the need for more research into Crohn’s Disease and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
About Multiverse Lab
We worked with a series of partners* to commission Unfolding Theatre to create Multiverse Lab. This initiative was designed to engage the public in important discussions around health and social care research. Visitors are encouraged to record a 40 second message and answer the following question:
“What is the research breakthrough you would like to see in your lifetime?”
Multiverse Lab was originally launched as an online experience in 2020 which has collected over 300 views so far. Building on this, a pop-up version was brought to the streets of the North East and North Cumbria between 17 and 25 July 2021. The response was fantastic, with over 350 passers-by engaging with the hosts and sharing their voices.
Involving the public at every stage of the research journey
Even the concept and design of the Multiverse Lab was inclusive, with public volunteers being active in its creation.
Gary Gibson is a public contributor for several groups including our Insight Panel for Patients, Public and Carers. He became involved in the project from an early stage. Read his blog where he reflects on his involvement with the Multiverse Lab initiative. He also joined the Multiverse Lab tour in Newcastle and encouraged other members of the public to share their voice. Watch this short video to see what else Gary has said about the Lab.
Key facts from the Multiverse Lab live tour
- Number of venues visited – seven
- Number of visitors – between 350 and 400
- Most common health challenge mentioned – cancer, dementia, mental health, Crohn’s Disease, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Following this successful tour, the team at Unfolding Theatre are now preparing to take Multiverse Lab back on the road in Autumn 2021. So stay tuned for updates by following us on Twitter: @NIHR_NCL_MIC
You can still add your voice online by visiting: https://www.multiverselab.co.uk
*Partner organisations that have commissioned Multiverse Lab are:
- NIHR Newcastle Biomedical Research Centre
- NIHR Newcastle Clinical Research Facility
- NIHR Clinical Research Network North East North Cumbria
- NIHR Newcastle In Vitro Diagnostic Co-operative
- NIHR Clinical Research Network Speciality Cluster E
- NIHR Applied Research Collaboration North East North Cumbria
- Newcastle University
- The Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- National Innovation Centre for Ageing
Information adapted, with thanks, from the NIHR Newcastle Biomedical Research Centre (BRC). Read the full story on the NIHR Newcastle BRC website.